Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Proverbs 22:6

I have these moments of clarity that come at such opportune, though not surprising, moments when I'm feeling overwhelmed, discouraged, and just downright fatigued.  That moment occurred for me last night as I tucked our children in to bed.   

My littlest little insisted on wearing a toy hard hat on her head as she lay down to sleep.  Though only 18 months old, she has developed a knack for accessories, creative at that.  My 7-year old wanted me to place two pillows and a stuffed Nemo in his shirt.  He has been wanting a sumo suit for the past two weeks so I figured this was him practicing.  

As I stuffed his shirt with two pillows and Nemo, I thought to myself, "I'm a Mom."  

Yes, I've been a mom for the past 7 years, but this time it resonated even more so as I stuffed his shirt.  Sounds silly, I know--but for whatever reason, I felt so "grown up" as I remembered when my own mom would tuck me in to bed.  To be called to be a parent--To encourage our children in their creativity, to support them in their learning, to discipline them with love and understanding, to show them what unconditional love means....it simply made my current day worries and fatigue melt away where in that very moment it was the realization that this wondrous responsibility is what also brings us calm and peace.  

God speaks to us in the most timely of ways to help us refocus our thoughts and priorities.

"Train the young in the way they should go; even when old, they will not swerve from it."
Proverbs 22:6



Happy Blessed Day!


1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Emily! And an inspiration to all of us non-mom's out there! :)

    ReplyDelete