Sunday, June 10, 2012

DIY: Bowtie / Hairbow How-to

My 6-year old wanted to wear a bowtie with his kindergarten graduation "outfit".  Granted, it was not his idea, but with a little bit of coaxing from me, he liked the idea of a bowtie.  Likewise, he also wanted a red one, but I made him a plaid one to match his navy slacks.  (It all had to match, of course!)  Luckily, he liked the plaid one and thought it was "super cool".  

I've made bows before so I figured this would not be too different or difficult.  In fact, I made his bowtie thinking that it would eventually make its way back to me....in my hair, specifically.  So, bowtie or hairbow, it works either way.  There are many tutorials on the web on how to make a bow/bowtie and some may be easier to do than others, but this is just how I do it myself.

Supplies:
--any fabric (cotton, felt, etc.) (larger piece=9" x 6.5", smaller piece=6" x 1.5")
--needle and thread
--glue gun
--bow tie clip or alligator clip

*Makes one 3" x 4.25" bow

1.  Fold your piece of cloth horizontally to the center of your fabric.
2.  Fold the other side of the cloth horizontally so that it meets in the center, with both sides slightly overlapping.
3.  Fold one side vertically to the center of your fabric.
4.  Fold the other side of the cloth vertically so that it meets in the center, with both sides slightly overlapping,
5.  Sew these two sides together with a basic stitch/hem (do not cut the thread)
6.  It should look like this.
7-9. Fold the fabric to the center, accordion or fan style.
10. Sew the layers together  (it may be useful to use a thimble to push the needle through the fabric).
11. It should look like this.
12 - 14.  Fold your second piece (smaller piece of fabric) like steps 1-2, adding a dab of glue in the folds.
15.  It should look like this.
16.  Place a dab of glue in the center of the bow (the part that will be front of the bow).
17.  Position the smaller piece of fabric in the center of the bow.
18.  Wrap the fabric around the center of the bow and glue it down.
19.  Snip the fabric a bit so that the long piece is not hanging out there.
20.  Glue it down to the back of the bow to keep the edges clean.
21.  Turn the bow over and wallah!

You can add an alligator clip or bowtie clip to the back of the bow under the seam (not pictured).  I slipped an alligator clip to the back.


Here is my little guy and his graduation "outfit".


And here I am with the bow in my hair after the novelty of the tie wore off!  LOL


Bowties are super adorable for little guys (big guys too) for that prepster look.  If you have not made a bow before, try it--you're going to love it either for your little guy/big guy or for yourself!  

Happy Crafting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment